Saturday, August 21, 2010

Karen Justl

I am often asked who did the amazing illustrated portrait of myself. Well, one day Karen Justl stole a picture of me and made such a cool thing out of it I have used it as my avatar ever since. She is a very talented and unique illustrator as can be seen on her blog. I have a hard time describing her work, as usually I have no idea what she is talking about, but for me, the images speak for themselves. Particularly this enthralling animation. She has published a book called "The Bird (cage)" and you can see her work in various magazine publications and in art installations around Toronto. 


Here is the blurb from her blog...


"Karen Justl is an illustrator that is fascinated by the neuroscience of facial expression and emotion. She holds a Masters of Design from the Ontario College of Art and Design University in Toronto, Ontario. She is a native of Winnipeg, Manitoba where she received her BFA Honors in Painting at The University of Manitoba. She is an interdisciplinary artist researching caricature, facial expression, body language, illustration techniques and Freud's theories of the uncanny. Her illustrations have been published across Canada, including subTerrain, Herizons, Pilot Project and Crow's Toes."    


She can be asked nicely to do one of you too! How great is that?








No comments:

Post a Comment